First Game of the season

Medina College 5 Christ the King College 42

Having waited a long time for their first game of the season, Christ the King's mixed year 8 and 9 team earned a comprehensive win over a gallant Medina side at Seaclose Park.

 It was a tight game early on, but as the first half progressed, Christ the King's greater experience and teamwork proved decisive. Both teams contested scrums and lineouts well, but the winners were much the better team at the breakdown, winning plenty of ruck ball. Scrum-half Sol Wood played a crucial role in keeping the pace of the game high which suited his team, and his slick service from scrums and rucks brought his backs into the game. Four tries and one conversion gave Christ the King a 22-0 half-time lead.


 Medina started the second half well and applied pressure but found College defence hard to break down. They did score one fine try, and almost added another which would have set nerves jangling, but were foiled by a brilliant tackle by full-back Benedict McGuirk. Christ the King eventually resumed control, and matched their first half tally of four tries in the second half, the last being scored as darkness descended. Most of the tries were products of teamwork rather than strong individual play, which pleased the coach. The game was played in excellent spirit and both teams applauded each other at the end – as it should be in rugby.

 Jake Puckett was backs' man of the match for his outstanding tackling, while Alfie Caporaso-Foster was forwards' man of the match. However, the whole team played very well and contributed to a good victory. Tries were scored by Caporaso-Foster (3), Ben Sanderson (2), Ned Guy, Sol Wood and Rio Penn-Grice. Jack Davis added a great conversion in the first half.

 Team: Benedict McGuirk, Rio Penn-Grice, Jake Puckett, Ben Sanderson, Jack Turner, Jack Davis, Sol Wood, Ned Guy, Alex Cole, Louis Herbert, Chester Smith, Ben Burnett, Harri Jones-Evans, Alfie Caporaso-Foster, Frazer Turnbull.